We are happy to have you aboard! 🚀
As soon as you sign up and login for the very first time, our wizard to guide you through setting up your account and data. Let's get started:
1. Adding Website
To add URLs, follow the next steps:
- Click the "Add URLs" button on the bottom of the sidebar.
- You can match subdomains and/or nested URLs as well. If you select: Match Subdomains and Match Nested URLs, the tool will track and show data from all your subdomains (e.g. blog.example.com) and nested URLs (e.g. example.com/blog) related to the domain, and yet count as one URL on your plan limit.
- Enter the URL (or multiple URLs, by toggling "Add multiple" on and adding them one per line).
- Set up your country and language — we will use these to discover keywords for the URL later.
- Set up your Google Places listing if you'd like to track your Google My Business rankings.
- Click "Next."
Read more about: Adding new URLs
2. Adding Keywords
To add keywords, follow the next steps:
- Choose the search engine where you want to track the rankings. By default, it is Google, but you can track rankings also in Youtube, Bing, Yahoo, and Google My Business.
- Set up your country and language — these are to determine where you would like to track your keywords and in what language. For example, if you choose France and language is French, your keywords would be tracked in google.fr in French.
- Enter the keywords (one per row). Nightwatch will help you to discover more keywords related to your website, all you need to do is to click on the 'auto-discover' button in the keywords field (for more details check the video Keywords Auto-Suggestions below).
- If you wish to track keywords as on mobile devices, toggle it on. Remember choosing mobile and desktop tracking will count as 2 keywords.
- Optionally, set the location settings for tracking, if you would like to track your keywords locally, for example, in New York. Otherwise, the keywords will be tracked on a national level (the US in this case).
- Click "Next."
Read more about: Tracking keywords
3. Adding Competitors
To add competitors, follow the next steps:
- Use our Competitor Discovery tool to find some competitors for you — or insert their links manually.
- If you would like to track their Google My Business and Google Carousel rankings, make sure to fill these fields in.
- You can track up to 5 competitors on your account.
- You can always tweak your competitor list in your settings later.
Read more about: Tracking competitors
4. Integrating with Google Analytics
Now you can connect your Google Analytics and Search Console accounts.
If you have more than one Google Analytics or Search Console account, connect them all to your master account in your Google Analytics settings.
5. Start Tracking!
After you added the keywords, Nightwatch will gather the ranking information for the specified location settings will automatically refresh the data on a daily basis. Give it a few moments to pick up your rankings.
Our system determines the optimal time for updating the rankings, and all rankings are refreshed on a regular daily basis. We don't encourage on-demand updates and custom update times because they add to anomalies of the data when rankings are refreshed in irregular intervals.
The best way to ensure the highest accuracy and reduce anomalies in the data is to ensure that all keywords are updated in a constant interval. That is one of the reasons why our tool is more accurate and preferred by most experts.