When you search for global and non-localized results, you only see so-called organic results, but when we search for local results, Google shows you a specific region with a map and top 3 results (called Local Pack Rank), and the rest is organic.
How to set up Local Pack Rank Tracking in Nightwatch?
Below you can see steps on how to track Local Rank Pack in Nightwatch.
1. Create a Google Place
If you don’t have Google Place for your business yet, you can register here.
2. Configure Place Tracking
You will need to configure the name of your local place under the website settings.
You can do that by following the next steps:
1. Open the appropriate website and click “Settings,”
2. Enter your place name in the “Google Place” field - make sure you enter the exact place name,
3. Click “save.”
If you have multiple Google Places, here's how you can work through it:
- If the names of both your businesses in Google Places are the same and their addresses are different, you can add the name in the Google Places field without entering the addresses. For example, if both these Google Places are "An Example Business, California" and "An Example Business, New York," - you can insert "An Example Business" in the field, and it will track both locations for you.
- If both the Google Places names are similar but not the same, you can use a wild card. For example, in "An Example Business 1" and "An Example Business 2", you can insert "An Example Business" to track them both.
Once you have configured your Google Place tracking in Nightwatch, you will be able to see different types of rankings in the keyword list by customizing the column cells - this includes your Local Pack Rank. By clicking on the pencil icon on a particular column, you can choose any rankings to be displayed: Organic Rank, Local Pack Rank, Image Carousel, and more.
In the rank column, the highest rank will always be displayed.
3. Using the Exact Location setting
Additionally, you should set the exact local location by which your keywords should be tracked.
You can set up the exact location by enabling the “Track location by city, region, or zip code“ option when adding the keywords to Nightwatch:
We recommend always configure the exact location when tracking a keyword locally. If you don't do that, Google will determine the location by itself, which may not be the same as the area you want to track. Therefore the results won't be accurate.
We support all available locations (on all levels by cities, regions, and zip codes) that affect Google results.
Google Maps rankings
The setting above will show your rankings if you rank in the Local Pack Rank (top 3 places). However, Nightwatch enables you to track your rankings beyond the first 3 results. All you need to do is change 'Google' to 'Google Places' as the search engine when adding your keywords.
Your Google Maps ranks will show up under the 'Organic Rank' column on your keywords list.
Local rankings on reports and graphs
You can also use those columns to customize the reports and include organic or local rankings accordingly.
Or visualize them on a graph:
To learn more, read our articles on:
The Ultimate Guide to Tracking Local Rankings
Google Maps Marketing Guide for Ranking in Local Search
Local SEO Checklist: 20 Steps to Get More Customers
Check out our tutorial on Youtube: