To start monitoring backlinks for a specific website or URL, you have to first enable it. To do that, click on the "Backlinks" in the sidebar and proceed by clicking on the "Enable Backlinks" button.
Once you enable your backlinks, you can customize your settings:
1. Backlinks Discovery
2. Ignore Domains
3. Backlinks Prefilter
- High quality (UR more than 50),
- Medium quality (UR between 20 and 50),
- Low quality (UR between 2 and 20),
- Suspicious (UR lower than 2).
Domain Rating (DR)
Domain rating is a computed score metric that predicts how well a website with that domain will rank in search engines. It’s calculated by evaluating the overall quality and strength of the domain’s backlink profile. It’s measured on a logarithmic scale from 1 to 100. Logarithmic means it’s much easier to go from 20 to 30 than from 70 to 80.
URL Rating (UR)
This metric is similar to Domain Rating. The difference is that it measures the strength of individual pages. It is retrieved from Ahrefs.
Status, IP, Page Title, First Seen, Link Type, Anchor, ...
You can choose from many different data fields. To see which ones available, just click on the pencil icon and configure column data to your liking.
Filtering and Segmenting
It is possible to create powerful filtered Views to focus on your backlink segments. Click on “Filters” and configure conditions and values. For example:
You can save the Views to have access to them later.
Adding Backlinks Manually
In case you already have a list of backlinks (either existing ones or prospects) that you want Nightwatch to monitor and update their status periodically, you can add them by clicking on the “Add Links” button.
Continuous Updating and MonitoringHere are the different frequencies of updates in regards to backlinks data:
- Nightwatch checks for new backlinks and adds them to the list every 3 days. You will get a notification (in the top bar) when new backlinks are discovered and added to your URL’s backlink section.
- Nightwatch updates the status of the existing list of backlinks within 10 to 14 days.
- URL Rating and Domain Rating is updated every two weeks for your URLs.
This way you can easily check which backlinks disappeared or stopped working:
Every subscription plan comes with a certain global backlink limit for your account. Once the limit is reached, Nightwatch will stop automatically discovering and adding backlinks to your URL. To check your current usage and upgrade your subscription to include more backlinks, visit the subscription plan page.
Exporting Backlinks Report
To export your URL's backlinks into a CSV file, click on the "Export” button. If you configure filters, the export will be filtered as well.
Backlink Data Sources
Our main backlinks data provider is Ahrefs, which is currently the most trusted backlink source in the SEO industry. This means we are providing you with the most up-to-date backlink pool of the highest quality. Authority metrics (DA, PA) are provided by Ahrefs and Moz.
- To learn more, read our article on 5 Innovative Techniques to Fine-tune Your Backlink Monitoring
- Also recommended: 7 Insights to Achieve Better SEO Beyond Rank Tracking and Link Monitoring
Check our tutorial video on Youtube: