Rankings Are Inaccurate?
It is practically impossible to simulate a precise location search on your local computer, which Nightwatch does provide - as well as some other advanced rank trackers. This requires you to fake the geographical location to a specific area supported by Google, which affects search results. There is no easy way to configure this on your local computer - the only way you could do it is if you were located in the area (which is detected the same as the precise location configured in Nightwatch), but it is just a half of the deal.
Still, if you want to check your rankings manually, here is what you should follow for more accurate results:
- Use browser in privacy (Incognito) mode,
- Use a proxy or VPN with the exact location as the tracked location of your keyword,
- In Google, configure the same language as of your tracked keyword,
- Experiment with “10 results per page” and “100 results per page.”
In addition, you could try using location faking tools, for example, Google Adwords Ad Preview. Note that the accuracy isn’t guaranteed, and the results are quite approximate.
Still, it is highly possible that you won’t be seeing the same rankings as in the tracker, and it’s ok. You can experiment with adding the same keyword tracked on different locations - this approach is explained in our ultimate guide to tracking local rankings. It is not as easy to simulate unbiased search query from your computer, and if you manually search for your keywords from time to time, you should know you can’t rely on the results completely.
Why Aren't Your Rankings Accurate?
This can happen for any of the following reasons:
- The location determined by Google based your local IP is not the same as the one you're using in Nightwatch,
- The settings which you use to access results are not the same as the ones in Nightwatch (language,
mobile / desktop settingand location / IP),
- The website does not have a stable authority on the keywords (also called Google Dance).
When you observe that kind of situation, it is sometimes helpful to add the same keyword to Nightwatch multiple times (with different precise location setting) - this helps you to get a better idea how it is affecting your rankings.
For more information, we recommend reading our blog post: Why Are Your Search Engine Rankings Inaccurate?